Noodles are one of the most diverse foods on earth, and here are some fun facts you might not know. How much do you know about noodles?
Top 10 facts about noodles
1. The First Noodles were Made Thousands of Years Ago in China The first noodles date back to 2000 BC. in China. It is made from millet (a grain).
2. Noodles were once considered a luxury item Before they became an affordable takeout option, noodles were once sold as a luxury item.
3. Japan invented instant noodles. The first instant noodles were born in Japan.
4. Noodles Are One of the Cheapest Foods Did you know that if you eat ramen for every meal of the day, it will only cost you $140 per year?
5. Slurping noodles is a big deal In Western culture, slurping on anything is considered rude, but in Asian cultures, slurping on noodles is considered an appreciation of the meal.
6. Noodles Considered Healthy Noodles are an excellent source of energy, rich in vitamins and minerals such as iron, thiamine, niacin and riboflavin, and low in sodium and fat.
7. Pho is pronounced "fuh" not "foh"
Pho has French colonial influences, and its name comes from the French dish "pot-au-feu."
8. Japan has a museum dedicated to cup noodles The Yokohama Cup Noodles Museum in Yokohama, Japan, is an interactive museum dedicated to showcasing the world’s first instant noodles, telling its origin story from humble beginnings to a global icon of the food movement.
9. Noodles have been in space
In 2005, Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi took instant noodles with him when he went into space. Nissin Foods has launched zero-gravity instant noodles, shaped like balls so space travelers can easily eat them.
10. Noodle Law According to federal law, noodles must contain 5.5% egg solids to be called noodles.