The foods listed below all contain carbohydrates. These carbohydrates become a sugar called glucose during digestion. Carbohydrate-containing foods should be eaten in moderation and distributed throughout the day. This is especially important if you have diabetes.
The following information about food portions and grams of carbohydrates can help you calculate your carbohydrate intake.
Fruit: 15 grams of carbohydrates
- Small apples, oranges, peaches, pears
- 1/2 banana
- 17 grapes
- 3 plums
- 1/2 grapefruit
- 1/2 cup mango or fruit cocktail
- 1 cup cantaloupe or papaya
- 1¼ cup watermelon or strawberries
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3/4 cup blackberries or blueberries
Milk and yogurt: 15 grams of carbohydrates
2/3 cup plain yogurt or yogurt with aspartame, sucralose or stevia.
Starch, grain, grain: 15 Katsumizu compound
- 1 ounce (about 1 slice) bread and bakery products
- 1/2 English muffin or hamburger
- 1/2 cup potatoes, corn, peas, yam
- 1⁄3 cup cooked pasta, noodles, spaghetti
- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, coarsely grained, kasha
- 1/2 cup cooked barley, bulgur
- 1⁄3 cup rice, millet or quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked beans (dried beans, peas)
- 6-inch tortillas
- 3 cups popcorn
- 6 crackers
- 3 graham cracker cubes
Vegetables: 5 grams of carbohydrates
- 1/2 cup cooked, 1 cup raw
- Garden vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, asparagus, tomatoes, zucchini, beets, eggplant, mushrooms, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, celery, cucumbers, cooked vegetables, okra, bell peppers, snow peas, Swiss chard
Tips for improving blood sugar levels
- Eat approximately the same amount of carbohydrates per meal. Divide the food into three meals, about 4 to 6 hours apart. If you are hungry between meals, have a snack.
- Fruits are naturally sweet, so you should only eat one serving at a time.
- Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, tofu, cheese, nuts, oil and fat will not raise blood sugar, but will increase calories.
- Choose sugar-free options: sugar-free soda, sugar-free jelly, crystal light, mineral water, tea, coffee, sugar-free popsicle, Equal, NutraSweet, Splenda, Sweet'n Low or Truvia.