1. Starter-cause or form bubbles in food
2. Binder/stabilizer-maintain the physical properties of food/cosmetics and ensure that the mixture remains uniform.
3. Acidity regulator/buffer-change or maintain the pH of food/cosmetics.
4. Preservatives-prevent and inhibit the growth of harmful microorganisms.
Glucono-delta-lactone (GDL), also known as gluconolactone, is a food additive, its number is E575, used as a release agent, acidulant, pickling agent or starter. It is the lactone of D-gluconic acid. Pure GDL is a white odorless crystalline powder.
GDL has been used to make feta cheese. GDL is neutral, but it is hydrolyzed into acidic gluconic acid in water, adding a strong flavor to food, although its sourness is about one-third of citric acid.
It is approved as a food additive in the European Union.
1. Food additives approved by the European Union (2018)
2. Food additives specified in Article 10 of the Food Sanitation Law of Japan
- Glucono-delta-Lactone (Gluconolactone)
3. The Food and Drug Administration Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) Food Substances (2017)
- § 184.1318 - Glucono delta-lactone
UN guidelines on chemical safety and hazards:
1. Causes severe eye irritation (H319)